Friday, June 02, 2006

Blogolution or blogaloney!

So far I've resisted getting sucked into the world of blogging. No, I haven't been living in a cave for the past few years, but to tell you the truth (whoever you are who is reading this out there), it just seemed really silly. What is all the fuss about? People just writing down their thoughts, commenting on anything, whether or not it is of value. Speaking to an unknown audience without a known cause. People say that it is the epitome of free speech, but aren't all "the free voices" out there are drowning out eachother? Of course, businesses have been quick to "capitalize" on the new phenomenon and sponsored blogs have cropped up. It is being used as a tool for many purposes, but what has been the result?

Anyways, I didn't start this post with the intention of analyzing blogging. The irony of it is that I am writing a blog...God only knows why.

Last night I had a nightmare. It wasn't anything horrific or surreal. I dreamt that I was crying and saying: they destroyed the body, mind and soul. See here:
Al Meezan: What Happened in Egypt ?....II
Such a short piece, such logical analysis and yet such a heart wrenching reality. It's not that I was shocked to read it...more so it confirmed something that I had been trying to unconsciously deny. Who are "they"? and why did they do it? and what can we do about it?

So I guess, my interest in this blogging thing is as a result of what is currently happening in Egypt. An uproar has erupted as a result of the jailing of Egyptian bloggers who criticized the government, held protests demanding democracy and were put in jail and tortured as a result or so the story goes. The result is a widespread condemnation. One blogger urged people worldwide to boycott Egypt by all means: stop buying Egyptian goods (as if they've flooded world markets anyways ya sidi), and stop tourism to Egypt (oh so you really want to inflict more pain on the country). Anyways, the pleas of this annonymous blogger were promptly picked up by prominent international newspapers:
Christian Science Monitor and the Guardian. And this kind of peaked my interest. I wanted to find out more about these "heroic" bloggers and what they stood for. I'm sad to say I was disappointed by what I found. I am not here to pass judgement about anyone but quite frankly I found many of them to be lost souls. Even those who had been jailed and continue to send out posts while in jail (how on earth do you do that?--is this a 5 star jail?). Anyways, a quick look at these sites revealed that the majority are penned by rebelious 20 somethings, who on the one hand shout out for democracy and on the other don't have an alternative to offer. They are true rebels without a cause. Others are disheartened and depressed, writing their thoughts in a witty sarcastic style, lest they stop themselves from completely going insane.

Of course I've come across a few mature bloggers (e.g.
ZanGooLaaa and Ana Shayef). But for the most part, I am not very optimistic about what I see. Blogging will get us no where. We are all just talking to ourselves out here....Talking ourselves into paralysis...
If all we have left to carry the banner of reform and development (at least in cyber-space) are a handful of middle-class rebelious youth who do not have a complete vision for where this country should go and how we should get there, then "2e2ro el-fat7a 3ala baladna ya regala". They really have destroyed the body, mind and soul.

I pray that I am wrong.








4 comments:

El3en Elsehrya said...

Thanks for the link to the post.
I concur, I hope it is not true that they destroyed it, I hope it is only half-wrecked , may be...!!!

Anyway, I think we realize where is the defect, then the question is "What are we gonna do about it..?????

I do not have an answer.............yet

Egiziana in US said...

What will WE do? That really is the question! I guess the answer will never come from one person. Pooling our collective thoughts and ideas is the only way forward.

El3en Elsehrya said...

I totally agree and ready to Pool our ideas and thoughts.
Tell me How ?

Dr. Tantawy said...

its cool to read my name here loool

i am really looking forward to meet you :) its the first time to like someone that much without seeing him !!

waiting for more blogs .. Dont be late !